Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Spicy Shrimp and Broccoli with Brown Rice

Ok, so this is me trying to replicate Zen's spicy shrimp bowl, which is delicious. If you've never had it (and can eat shrimp and in the Austin area) I highly recommend you go and try it, and if you're not a shrimp person go to Zen anyway, they have really good food!
Anywho, to make this, I did brown rice, but it's good with white rice or maybe even lo mein, so cook that according to the directions on the package.

So here's for the Shrimp:
*this is all for single serving, feel free to double or whatever if it's more than one person*
Ingredients:
- 8-12 medium shrimp, I used frozen and thawed them
-1 clove of garlic, minced
-2 tbsp oil(something with a high smoke temp, ie-vegtable, canola...)
-1cup broccoli, I used frozen but you can use fresh
-1.5 pinch of red pepper flake, depends on how spicy you like it
1-2 tsp soy sauce, I used the cap on my soy sauce to measure(1.5 of them)

Directions:
-In a large skillet (or wok) warm oil over medium-high heat.
-Add the garlic and red pepper flakes, let cook for 1-2 mins
-Add shrimp, broccoli and soy sauce.
-Cook until shrimp are cooked all the way through and serve over the brown/white rice or lo mein.

When I made this it wasn't very "saucy" next time I'm going to try and get a little more liquid so that the flavors can get all over the rice and stuff. If I like it I'll post how I did it ^_^

*OK so to make the sauce "saucy-er" I added a little more soy sauce/oil and then cornstarch mixed in water to help thicken it*
*Also the next day when I made this I put in about a palm full of red pepper flakes(If you want to know the exact measure Rachel Ray measures that way so she'll be able to tell you =p), it was really good if you like the "mouth kinda on fire/runny nose" kinda spicy-ness that I like.*

No comments:

Post a Comment