Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Okra Fries

This is one of my own little concoctions, I got the idea from Iron Chef, they did wedges and deep fried them. I've been trying to go a little more healthy so here are some healthy fries ^_^

Ingredients:
1-bag of frozen/fresh okra or however much you want (I've done with both, fresh is a little more slimy but still very tasty)
1/2 cup egg whites or 2+ eggs + milk
1 cup(enough for dredging) whole wheat flour
salt and pepper to taste
pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
Cooking spray


Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Cut okra into 4's length wise. Combine flour, salt and pepper, and cayenne in bowl.
Dredge fries through egg whites and then flour mixture. (You can double dredge them if you like, but they come out good if dredged once)
Place fries on a foil lined cookie sheet.
Once all fries are dredged and on cookie sheet spray a lightly with cooking spray.
Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes or until fries have reached desired crispness

I baked these once at 350 and once at 400, I liked how crispy they came out at 400. I baked them at the same time I was baking something else. At 350 I used frozen okra (that had been thawed slightly) and they took about 20 - 30 minutes to cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment